Remote area radiology exemption program

doctor and patient with xrayOur Remote Area Radiology Program provides a quality assurance and continuing medical education service for eligible College members who aspire to building and maintaining their radiological skills. It also provides a simple and effective way for rural doctors to meet the requirements of holding a Remote Area Exemption (RAE) for Department of Human Services benefits.

If you are a member, once you have assessed your eligibility, you can enrol in the program by completing the application form.

If you are not a member but would like to participate in this program, you can become a member of the College by visiting our membership page.

Please note: You must register details of your short term locum with the College five days prior to the commencement date. This will allow sufficient time for Department of Human Services rebates to begin on your locum commencement date. Please submit a different Remote Area Radiology Application Form for each short term locum that you undertake.


Each triennium you will need to accumulate a minimum of 30 points in approved diagnostic imaging activities. These points can comprise a selection of the following activities:

  • 15 hours of Practice Reflective Professional Development (PRPD) activities at two points per hour (ie. 30 PRPD points are required for MOPS compliance), or
  • completion of a six-hour course that contains substantial pre- and post-activity/assessment (awarded 30 PRPD points), or 
  • completion of 15 film reviews, supervised and signed off by a radiologist, or
  • successful completion of three blocks of 10 cases (30 cases) and their associated assessment in the 150 Shades of Radiology online module (enrol on this module).

What is the Remote Area Exemption?

A Remote Area Exemption (RAE) for "R-type" radiology services is where a written request is not required for the payment of Department of Human Services benefits for a referred (R-type) diagnostic imaging service rendered by a medical practitioner in a remote area. 

This can only occur when:

  • The “R-type” service is not one for which there is a corresponding non referred (NR-type) service, and
  • The medical practitioner tendering the service has been granted a RAE for that service.

To obtain a RAE, practitioners have to apply to the Department of Human Services, through the College, and meet certain criteria.

What is a "remote area" for RAE purposes? [more]
  • that is more than 30kms by road from a hospital that provides a radiology service under the direction of a specialist in diagnostic radiology
  • That is more than 30kms by road from a free-standing radiology facility under the direction of a specialist in diagnostic radiology, and
  • Where the facilities for rendering R-type diagnostic imaging services in the area in which the practice is situated (including facilities provided by practitioners visiting the area regularly) are such that patients in the area would suffer physical or financial hardship.

Radiology forms

Please use the Radiology Film Interpretation Form to assist you with reporting and recording your activities.